Saturday, 27 October 2012
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
1 pumpkin, flesh only, squared
225g/8 oz soft light brown sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
3 tsp mixed spice
350 ml evaporated milk
1 pie crust (see below)
Oven should be set at gas 8/ 230°C
-Steam the pumpkin for 10-15 minutes till tender.
-Mash or mix the pumpkin in a blender in batches.
-In a bowl, slightly beat the eggs, then add the sugar, salt, 500g of the pumpkin, spices, evapourated milk and flour, blending well.
-Heat the pastry case in the oven for a couple of minutes till warm to the touch, then pour the pumpkin mixture into the case, covering the edge of the case with foil.
-Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to gas 4/180 C and bake for a further 40-50 minutes.
-Remove foil about 20 minutes before the pie is done.
-Allow pie to cool at room temperature then refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve cold or re-warmed with cream or ice cream.
PIE CRUST, INGREDIENTS
225g/8oz plain flour,
150g/5oz chilled unsalted butter, chopped,
1 egg, beaten (add an extra yolk for extra flavour)
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Using your hands, rub in the butter whilst lifting the mixture above the bowl to introduce air, until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the beaten egg and mix into the pastry crumbs with a round bladed knife until they start t bind together. Then, lightly gather the mixture together to form a soft, but not sticky, ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before rolling out on a cool surface.
- With any leftovers you can make small stars to put on the top of the pie, about 30 minutes before it is ready.