Monday, 6 August 2012
Sausage & Bean Casserole
YOU WILL NEED for 4 people
2 tbsp olive oil
450g sausages (about 8)
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 to 1&1/2 tsp sausage casserole seasoning
700g jar passata
300ml chicken stock (vegetable stock if using veggie sausages)
100ml water or red wine for added flavour
300g tin of cannellini beans, drained and washed
Add salt to taste (seasoning already contains pepper)
~~Oven set to 180C/350F/gas 4
1) Place the oil in a casserole dish and fry the sausages till golden. Remove sausages carefully and reserve for later.
2) Place the leek, onion and garlic in the casserole with the hot oil and fry gently till soft but not browned.
3) Add the spice to help release the flavours, then add the passata, stock, water/wine and beans and bring to the boil.
4) Cover and place in the oven for 40 minutes, then add the sausages then cook uncovered in the oven for further 30-40 minutes, till the sausages and beans are tender and well cooked.
5) Serve with crusty bread and butter.
1) Add 100g of lean bacon at stage 2.
2) Save a little of the passata and use the next day with pizza bases to make your own pizzas. Smear the passatta over the pizza, then add grated cheese to cover and toppings of your choice. You can either buy ready made pizza bases or make your own. The recipe will be fine with a little less passata, but check it on the second stage of the oven cook.
3) The sausage casserole seasoning can also be ground down in a mortar and pestle and is a perfect spice for flavouring homemade sausages.