Friday, 13 July 2012
Lavender & Vanilla Butter Biscuits
This is a lovely recipe with a delicate, yet distinct flavour. The lavender comes through, without being bitter, and is softened by the vanilla.
YOU WILL NEED:
75g/3oz caster sugar
seeds from one vanilla pod
175g/6oz butter, softened
175g/6oz plain flour
2 1/2 tsp dried lavender flowers
2 tbsp caster sugar, for dusting
1) Set the oven at 170 C/325 F/gas 3, and grease two baking trays. You will need a cooling wrack.
2) For best results mix the sugar with the vanilla in advance (overnight), but the recipe will work if you do it before baking. Place the butter and flavoured sugar together in a bowl and mix well.
3) Sift the two flours, add the lavender and blend with the butter mixture to form a soft dough.
4) Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, knead gently and roll out. Cut out shapes with cutters, and place each biscuit on the baking tray. Prick lightly with a fork.
5) Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on the tray for a few minutes before moving to the wire wrack. Sprinkle with caster sugar.